Household Insurance (Buildings & Contents)

Image 1
It's important you take the time to value your belongings.

Many of us may appreciate the value of our possessions only when faced with a crisis, such as a fire or a burglary. And by that stage it could be too late.

If, when a claim is made, you haven't got enough cover, an insurer can reduce the amount it pays out. But don't be tempted to overinsure - this will lead to paying higher premiums than necessary.

The policy/ies must be renewed anually to maintain cover. Also, the level of cover should be regularly reviewed to ensure full cover is maintained.

The Basics

You'll normally need two separate policies to insure your home, one for the building and another for its contents. Both policies should provide cover for damage due to fire, lightning, explosions or earthquakes, theft or attempted theft, riots or vandalism, storms or flooding, subsidence, falling trees and moving objects (such as a car hitting your home). You'll also be covered for the escape of water from tanks, pipes, washing machines or dishwashers and leaking oil from heating systems.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home (walls, windows, roof and so on) as well as permanent fixtures and fittings (such as baths, toilets, fitted kitchens). The amount of cover you need is the rebuilding cost of your home. This includes the cost of demolition (which may be needed after fire, for instance), clearing the site, and architects' and other professional fees.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance policies will cover the items inside your home, such as audio visual equipment, carpets, clothing, furniture, kitchenware, and a limited amount of valuables. Insurers usually apply limits for high-value single items, so specify the value of expensive possessions before you take out the cover. Contents insurance will usually cover you for the replacement of keys if lost or stolen, and damage to locks. You'll also be covered for the theft of cash from your home, up to a set limit. And it will cover your legal liability as occupier of the house, such as liability for injuries to visitors.

Policies can also include accidental damage cover, but you may have to pay extra. This extends cover to include accidental breakages and damage to items such as hi-fis, TVs, computers and video recorders.

If, when a claim is made, you haven't got enough cover, an insurer can reduce the amount it pays out.

Important PDF Downloads


Who are we and what do we do? We are a firm of mortgage and insurance advisers and have been helping our clients with their mortgage and insurance needs for over 10 years.


A Guide to

You have made your first step towards getting the right mortgage to help you buy your first home, become a buy-to-let landlord or simply find a better deal on your existing mortgage.


Contact us

There are many ways to contact us here at Square Financial.
Please go to our contact page and you will see all of our contacts for our representatives for your area.

Contact us


Our mainstream service is to act on your behalf for the purpose of arranging and advising on the following: Personal & Family Protection, for example a Life Assurance or Critical Illness Plan;
Mortgages, including Buy‐to-Let - Releasing equity from your home (Equity Release);
For all the services described above we will complete a detailed fact find so we can understand your circumstances, specific needs and objectives.
Following our research we will provide a personal recommendation(s) for you to consider. With your agreement we will then implement our recommendation(s) and arrange any products on your behalf.
Ultimately, whichever type or level of service you require from us we will act in your best interests at all times 

More than just a Mortgage Company

We are a firm of mortgage specialists based in West Yorkshire, with advisers also located throughout the North of England.

We provide advice to both individuals and companies on certain aspects of financial planning, through a long term approach of fully understanding our clients' needs, wants and aspirations and then prioritising objectives. As advisers, we can help you arrange suitable contracts to suit your requirements. We have many years of experience in finding the most suitable solution for our clients' needs.

We provide advice and help following a personal / business financial review which can take place at a convenient time and place. Usually a review will start with a very broad discussion of your concerns and aspirations.

Following your initial review, we will take time to consider your situation, needs and priorities before writing a financial report. We will discuss this in a follow up meeting, or call, in which we'll fully explain our recommendations and agree affordable priorities to assist you in acheiving your objectives.

Why choose us?

  • We're flexible & you can contact us in many ways

    You can contact Tracy at our main Head Office or you can choose one of our Consultants to discuss your needs. Simply click here to view all contact details

  • One size doesn't fit all

    We work with many different companies throughout the UK. Some may be your local branch and others are National companies and we will search to find you the right one.

  • Time for a change?

    Whether you are first time buyer, looking to re-mortgage or are even up & down-sizing, we have experienced mortgage advisors on hand to help you make the right decision.

  • Very well trusted

    We have helped literally thousands of clients over the years and we pride ourselves in getting to know each and every one of them. So look no further than Square Financial and call us today